By Kathryn Jeffords & Samuel Lewis
Springtime in Jackson is a strange time. The snow thaws, winter sports are out and there's a palpable excitement in the air for summer activities that aren't quite here yet. If you find yourself staring out the window wondering if the conditions are right for some mountain biking, or you're having second thoughts about going on that camping trip; you're not alone. Here at Jackson Hole Wild we have a range of interests and hobbies, and everyone has their own idea of the perfect summer. Luckily, Spring doesn't hold the same sense of waiting around it used to thanks to our combined experience of living in Jackson. We've compiled our definitive list of Springtime fun so you too can have a Wild Spring. Enjoy!
1. Old West Brew Fest: This weekend, 5/28, try a sampling of an age-old craft. Enjoy a variety of new craft beers from regional breweries. This event has a 14 year vintage and is a great way to kick off the start of summer with some seasonal beverages. Entrance is free and beers may be traded for wooden nickels purchased at the entrance. Each token is $1.
11:00am-5:00pm Town Square.
2. World Oceans Day: Join Jackson Hole Wild at the Teton Library on June 8th for a World Ocean’s Day celebration. Jackson may not be known for its sandy beaches and dramatic coastlines but we'll be bringing the ocean to you with a double feature screening of two amazing ocean tales: Jago: A Life Underwater & Sonic Seas. 5:30pm. Take a plunge into the ocean (figuratively!) to take your mind off that spring drizzle!
3. Consign your Items – Stores like Headwall Sports will take your lightly used gear and help you make some $$$. A perfect excuse for some Spring cleaning, clear out that garage and make some extra cash this weekend (just don't spend it all at the Brew Fest!).
4. Take a Class at the Center for the Arts – The Art Association offers art classes in Drawing, Watercolor, Relief, Throwing, Digital Photography and MORE! Right now they are running a special: if you sign up for a $35 membership, you get 50% off an adult class. Thaw out your creative juices and get them flowing with these great opportunities!
5. Free Stargazing with Wyoming Stargazing – Free public stargazing every clear Friday night from June-September. Local astronomers will use a gigantic Dobsonian telescope to show you planets, stars, planetary nebulae, galaxies, and more! 9:30-11:30pm at Rendevous Park. Wyoming Stargazing also offers private tours for a special occasion.
6. Tuesday Cruiseday – Join up with this bike crew on Tuesdays at 7pm at Thai Me Up. Cruise into town and meet up with a bunch of locals for a rompin’ good time. Happy hour pricing is granted to everyone in proper Tuesday Cruiseday theme attire. See the full theme schedule here
7. Trivia at the Tavern: The Town Square Tavern hosts weekly trivia nights with prizes starting at 7pm. Starring Host Crazy Tom. Don’t forget to bring your drinking cap, ahem… thinking cap.
8. Go for a Whiskey Tasting: Vom Fass hosts free whiskey tastings on most Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Explore Whiskeys from around the world. Lean a little and taste a lot.
So there you have it, no more excuses for sitting around in your PJ's watching Netflix (although on reflection, that almost made the list!) get out there and enjoy everything that Spring in Jackson has to offer!
Jackson Hole WILD
240 S. Glenwood, Suite 112
PO Box 3940
Jackson, WY 83001